Ref:DuffWKewM-1957

From ArchaeoWiki

Jump to: navigation, search
Author Duff, W.; Kew, M.
Year 1957
Section Title Anthony Island, a Home of the Haidas
Editor
Volume Title Provincial Museum of Natural History and Anthropology: Report for the Year 1957
Series
Publisher Province of British Columbia Department of Education
City Victoria
Pages 37-63
Abstract
Annotations


Duff, W. and M. Kew
1957 Anthony Island, a Home of the Haidas. In Provincial Museum of Natural History and Anthropology: Report for the Year 1957, edited by Duff, W. and M. Kew, pp. 37-63, Province of British Columbia Department of Education, Victoria.


This report provides a detailed overview of SGang Gwaay, encompassing a brief description of social structure and the territory of the village, along with a detailed outline of the village’s layout, which includes accounts of the remains of each individual house and descriptions of the house structures. The authors discuss four separate archaeological sites that were excavated around SGang Gwaay in 1957, along with details about found artifacts, faunal assemblages, and speculated site uses. Contact with Europeans is also briefly discussed, including the impact that contact had on SGang Gwaay. Following these discussions is a detailed report regarding the 1957 totem pole removal project, which sought to preserve these important cultural artifacts. Duff and Kew’s report, though written before much important research had been done at SGang Gwaay, provides useful information about the village as well as detailed records of the findings of important early excavations at the site, the results of which are not discussed in so much detail in later studies.

Personal tools